Experiences shared by our enthusiasts
Back to previous page

Mercedes-Benz 300SL

Mercedes-Benz 300SLThe Mercedes-Benz 300SL was introduced in 1954 as a two-seat, closed sports car with distinctive gull-wing doors. Later it was offered as an open roadster. It was the fastest production car of its day.

Built by Daimler-Benz AG and internally numbered W198, the fuel-injected road version was based (somewhat loosely) on the company's highly successful competition-only sports car of 1952, the somewhat less powerful carbureted Mercedes-Benz 300SL (W194).

The road model was suggested by Max Hoffman. Being intended for customers in the booming post-war American market it was introduced at the 1954 New York Auto Show, unlike previous models introduced at either the Frankfurt or Geneva shows. In Mercedes-Benz fashion, the 300 referred to the engine's three litre cylinder displacement. The SL stood for Sport Leicht (Sport Light).

The 300SL was best known for both its distinctive gull wing doors and being the first-ever gasoline-powered car equipped with fuel injection directly into the combustion chamber. The gull wing version was available from March 1955 to 1957. Production of the roadster ended in 1963 with the introduction of the 230SL.

The 300SL is well worth over R5 million rand today!

More pictures


Comments by enthusiasts



For the love of classic cars



Please support us by clicking on the like button below
and help more classic car enthusiasts find us